Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Midnight and Coffee


 You know how they always play movies on super long flights? Well Midnight in Paris played on our flight over here. I tried watching the first ten or so minutes of it, but I got SO fed up up with the characters that I switched movies (sounds like Romeo and Juliet- the book- all over again). Sunday night when Professor Lannom and Herr and Frau Swann asked Amy and I were at the Mexican place, Prof. Lannom asked if we watched the movie and if we had liked it. When I told him all of this, he lectured me on not giving it a chance; once I caved and agreed to go see it again, if possible, he informed us of a little theater near our school that would be showing it at 20:30 every night. Nice segue, huh? Anyways, I am so very glad that I gave it another chance... I have recently discovered how deeply enamored I am of the lost generation. I mean Fitzgerald? Genius. Anyways, this movie is now on my wishlist. Here's my favorite quote...
All men fear death. It's a natural fear that consumes us all. We fear death because we feel that we haven't loved well enough or loved at all, which ultimately are one and the same. However, when you make love with a truly great woman, one that deserves the utmost respect in this world and one that makes you feel truly powerful, that fear of death completely disappears. Because when you are sharing your body and heart with a great woman the world fades away. You two are the only ones in the entire universe. You conquer what most lesser men have never conquered before, you have conquered a great woman's heart, the most vulnerable thing she can offer to another. Death no longer lingers in the mind. Fear no longer clouds your heart. Only passion for living, and for loving, become your sole reality. This is no easy task for it takes insurmountable courage. But remember this, for that moment when you are making love with a woman of true greatness you will feel immortal.
Lindsey, again. I promise I am spending time with other people in our group. Promise.
So there's this little cafe that I love. The woman who works there knows enough English and is patient enough with my German that we can actually communicate pretty well. And she makes a mean cafe ole (bottom left corner of picture) and I swear Lindsey was about to walk off with the little cup she had her melange in (next to her left hand). But that cake. Goodness that cake. It was sent from God, who had taken truffles and cake and cocoa and mixed them together with magic and his own tears.

I sincerely doubt Starbucks will ever do it for me ever again after going to all of the little cafes here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment